Monday, April 29, 2013

[confessions of a] bookaholic

**inspired by Kelli and this blog post**


Do you snack while you read? 
When I can. If I have some spare time over lunch I'll grab a book to read while I eat, and if we have snackish food in the house I'll try to sneak some of that. It's probably good that most of our snacks are healthy, otherwise my book collection wouldn't be the only thing growing steadily larger...

What is your favourite drink while reading?
Usually tea, although I sometimes like a hot chocolate (especially at this time of year!) During the summer, anything cold.

Do you tend to mark your books as you read, or does the thought of writing in books horrify you?
Horrify. The only book I've ever willingly written in was my copy of The Art of War for Writers, by James Scott Bell. That book was BEGGING to be written in, I kid you not. Other than that, I'm super picky about keeping my books looking like I just bought them. Which totally doesn't make sense, because there's nothing I like more than a book that looks as though it's been dearly loved, with special creases and little footnotes. I just can't bring myself to be the one to mark them.
It really, really doesn't make sense.


 
How do you keep your place while reading a book?
Any way I can. I'll use anything within reach (tissue - clean, of course, a coaster, a bookmark, another book...) I need to keep better track of my bookmarks.

Are you the type of person who reads to the end of a chapter, or can you stop anywhere?
I'm the kind of person who reads the whole book in one sitting. And if I can't do that, I read as long as I can and then stop at the last possible minute, wherever that may be. Which is sometimes horrible if I have to put the book down just as the main character is about to die or make some horrible mistake...but that's the way it goes, I suppose.
 
Are you the type of person to throw a book across the room or onto the floor if the author irritates you?
Throw the book? No. Slam it shut (after I'm finished, of course) and start loudly ranting to anyone who will listen (or is standing in the same room), yes. Write lengthy emails or letters or journal entries or blog posts about whatever made me mad? Yes. Somehow work my frustration into EVERY. SINGLE. CONVERSATION. I have for the next week, yes. But actually toss the book across the room? Never.

If you come across an unfamiliar word, do you look it up right away?
This doesn't happen TOO often, but I'll usually just ask one of my parents or try to figure it out based on the context. If it's really bugging me, or if the paragraph doesn't make sense without the word, I'll look it up.



What are you currently reading?
I'm currently in the middle of Frank Peretti's This Present Darkness. I started it at Christmas and then put it down for several months. It's actually pretty good; I'm enjoying it so far.

What is the last book you bought?
I don't normally buy books (as I mentioned in my last post) but I did recently pick up Replication and Angel Eyes.

Do you have a favourite place/time to read? 
Anywhere/anytime I can.  

Do you prefer series books or stand-alones?
I don't really have a preference, as long as the books are well-written and engaging. As long as the quality of the series doesn't go downhill, I suppose I prefer those, just because you get to spend more time with the characters. But I'm not too picky.


Is there a specific book you find yourself recommending over and over?
Ehhh, I have such a hard time picking favourites. I usually try to force people to read Pride and Prejudice, the Chronicles of Narnia, and Watership Down, if they haven't already. 
 
How do you organize your books?
I'm not sure. I was going to do alphabetical order, but the sizes weren't aligned, so I gave up. I think my shelves are organized loosely by genre, and the genres are stacked according to their size (usually from tallest to shortest.)

Whew! *flops down* That actually took a lot longer than I was expecting...but it was fun. Make sure you go and have a peek at Kelli's blog, it's pretty sweet down there. Also, if you ever want to chat about my reading habits, leave me a comment. I could ramble about books forever. 

Literally. ☺

5 comments:

  1. This was *so* fun to read! Ah, I still have yet to read Watership Down...I've been hearing such good things about it lately and I'm dying to get my hands on it.

    I'd like to join in with this too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, I'm glad it was entertaining. :P I tried. And yes! You must ABSOLUTELY read Watership Down. It's one of my absolute most favourite books of all time. I've read it over and over again...<3 So good.

      That'd be awesome! I'd love to see your replies when you're done. :D

      Delete
  2. Oooooh, I loved reading this! =D I completely agree about the no-throwing-books-across-the-room-but-instead-ranting-to-anyone-in-earshot-until-they-beg-for-mercy thing. XD
    I still must read Watership Down. *nods*
    And YOU must read the Book Thief, if you haven't already. ((I can't remember. Blasted sickness mutilating the memories of my mind >.< ))
    Anyways. Awesome post. :3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad it made you smile. :) And I'll make you a deal: I did start "The Book Thief" once, but I couldn't get into it. I'll give it another go if you reserve Watership Down at the library. ;) Or buy it, or whatever. BUT IT MUST BE READ.

      Delete
  3. I liked yours so much that I copied you for my blog! :) (You did read mine, right?)

    ReplyDelete

Comments from you make my day! ♥ True story.